How To Get Your Carnet de Extranjeria In Peru

How To Get Your Carnet de Extranjeria In Peru

So, you’ve rented the house of your dreams, made new friends, and feel like you want to stay in the Sacred Valley forever. But…can you? Legally, I mean?

If you’re wondering how you can legally live in Peru, your answer is probably getting a carnet.

More precisely known as the Carnet de Extranjeria, this is the Peruvian identification card for foreign residents. There are several different ways you can get this:

  • through Peruvian family or being married to a Peruvian
  • through work, if you have a job here
  • by setting up a company in Peru
  • via a school if you are enrolled as a student
  • as a retiree
  • as a religious worker
  • if you are from a MERCOSUR country

Previously, getting a resident visa or a carnet was a two-part process that required leaving the country to get your resident visa first. However, things have changed, and it has become easier.

First, you will need to get a certificate from INTERPOL to prove you’re not some kind of outlaw. Fortunately, there’s a new INTERPOL office now in Cusco. If you don’t speak Spanish, do bring someone along with you who can help translate while you are there.

The following documents are general requirements for anyone who is requesting a resident visa (carnet):
· Form F-007 – get a free copy at the immigration offices.
· Receipt for payment for the application process. You need to pay at a Banco de la Nación and the cost is around S/ 60
· A copy of your passport or identity document that has been approved by the Peruvian Consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Relations or its Consular representative in Peru or authenticated by the Peruvian General Directorate of Immigration and Naturalization (DIGEMIN).

A list of the other required documents for each type of resident visa can be found at Peruvian Visa Requirements – Resident Visas. After you turn in this paperwork, you’ll be given a ticket with your case number on it. It’s recommended that you keep a complete packet with copies for yourself of everything you hand over to Immigrations together with your case ticket.

About 2 weeks later, you’ll get an email or a phone call about your ticket number, and you’ll be given information on when you need to return to the migraciones office. 

When you return, you’ll need to fill in another form, and give your fingerprints to the migraciones officer and get a picture taken for your actual carnet. Your carnet will be issued to you around one or two weeks later.

Form F007A – (download here) to be put in the Registro de Extranjero (Foreigner’s Registry) and issued a CE

  • Receipt showing payment to the Banco de la Nacion for the procedure.
  • Photocopy of your current passport and Tarjeta Andina
  • Receipt showing payment to the Banco de la Nacion for Inscription in the Foreign Registry – $15
  • Proof of having paid the Tasa Annual or (exoneration if eligible).
  • Your paperwork/receipt from INTERPOL (see above)

There are may be other required documents, depending on your class of visa – Check on DIGEMIN online.

Remember that each year you will be required to pay the Tasa Anual (Foreigner’s Tax) and the Prorroga de Residencia (renewal fee). Also note that the carnet doesn’t last forever; you will have to renew it every year, but after two years of being resident in Peru, you can apply for a permanent residency.

If this all sounds a bit daunting, no worries: an English speaking lawyer like Jose Calderon and associates can help you through it all! Click here to contact them.

What has your experience been like staying in the sacred valley legally? How did you get your carnet de extranjeria? Tell us in the comments section below!